For the third consecutive time, Serge Ferrari, an official Solar Decathlon 2014 partner, commits to supporting architectural students in this prestigious international university competition.
Serge Ferrari accompanies competitors in their action and thinking by providing 7 competing architectural teams with flexible composite materials, thereby contributing to the overall performance of their projects. Prototypes will be on show at the Cité du Soleil in the park of the Château de Versailles between 28th June and 14th July 2014.
Solar Decathlon: Designing tomorrow’s housing
The aim of the competition is to design a solar urban housing embodying eco-responsible architecture that is not only functional and sustainable, but also heated and lit by solar energy. The university competition brings together young engineers and architects from all over the world (20 competing teams, representing 16 countries and 3 continents), who will bring all their imagination and technological know-how to the challenge.
Serge Ferrari: at the heart of the citizen challenge
The Serge Ferrari Group started the Solar Decathlon adventure with its first European edition held in 2010, in partnership with the Rhône-Alpes regional group; this was followed by the inventive, complex ecological “Canopea” housing project, which won the competition in 2012. Solar Decathlon 2014 focuses specifically on 6 issues central to energy and ecological transition: Density, mobility, sobriety, innovation, cost and contextualization.
Social challenges shared on a day-to-day basis by Serge Ferrari, which offers today’s and tomorrow’s designers a wide range of flexible, lightweight composite materials providing high functional performance by:
• Reducing the weight of construction systems
• Reducing energy consumption
• Controlling natural light contribution
• Improving thermal comfort
• Optimising acoustic comfort
• Guaranteeing long-term aesthetic added value
• Limiting environmental impacts: 100% recyclable materials through the Serge Ferrari Texyloop® operational recycling network.
Serge Ferrari products are on view in 8 Solar Decathlon 2014 projects:
• Casa Fenix – Valparaiso / La Rochelle – Chile/ France
• Casa Mexico City – Mexico
• Rhome for dencity – Rome – Italy
• Ontop – Frankfurt – Germany
• The Skin – Delft – Netherlands
• YOUR+ – Lucerne – Switzerland
• Philéas – Nantes – France
• SymbCity – Madrid – Espagne
© Photos : Team Fenix – Team Casa Mexico – Team Ontop – Team Atlantic Challenge – Team Rhome – Team Prêt-à-Loger – Team Lucerne